Wednesday, March 15, 2017

ICL Day 7 / PRK Month 3: Follow-Up Appointment

Today I had a follow-up appointment with my surgeon, which is one week since my ICL surgery (left eye) and about 3 months since my PRK surgery (right eye).

My appointment was quick, my surgeon and her fellow looked inside my eyes and tested my vision on the Snellen chart. I could see most of the 20/20 line with my right eye and all of the 20/20 line with my left eye! Together, I could read the 20/15 line. I didn't use many lubricating drops today and my appointment was in the afternoon so maybe my eyes were drier than they were right after my surgery, who knows. They also tested my eye pressure which is normal.

PRK Update (3 months post-surgery)


My PRK eye is doing well. I still see starbursts around lights regardless of whether it's bright or dark in the environment. If I squint, they go away, so I don't know if it is due to residual astigmatism, higher-order aberrations, or what. It's gotten really sunny here in the past month or two and I also have really bad glare with in the bright sunlight, even with sunglasses on. This makes it really hard to read street signs because I'll have double or triple vision in my right eye. 

ICL Update (1 week post-surgery)


My ICL eye also seems to be doing well. The surgeon said that my vault was high and we would keep an eye on it. I don't know if this means I might have to get the lens exchanged, but I'm happy to wait and see how it looks next month. I see very large, prominent halos in dim and dark environments when looking just through my left eye. Interestingly, when I use both eyes, the halos diminish greatly and some completely disappear (and so do the starbursts from my PRK eye!). I'm also still seeing a white haze in my left eye, kind of like a glaze. I'm not sure if it's from the iridectomy or corneal swelling or something else, but it does not seem to be improving. It would be a bummer to permanently lose a lot of the contrast that I originally had in my left eye. In one of my first posts I noted that the contrast in my right eye has always been much worse due to the cataract I was born with; well, for the last week, my right eye has had much better contrast sensitivity than my left eye! 


I am happy I no longer need glasses or contacts to read, write, watch TV, drive, and everything else!! I'm hoping that some of these side effects resolve -or- my brain gets used to them quickly. I have another appointment in a month so I'll update again then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment